Sexy Spanish Tortilla.

Since returning from beautiful Valencia, I've been having the post-holiday blues...

So, when the sun finally came out in Bristol, I decided to recreate my amazing trip with some suitably sexy, Spanish food. Why sexy? Well just look at it!...



Pretty damn hot, if you ask me. If you make this as part of a Tapas-style meal, you're going to be impressing people...believe me!
I've always had a major problem with making Tortilla. No matter how many times I tried, how much I changed the recipe, I always ended up with a pan of scrambled eggs and partly-cooked potatoes. Not sexy. However, I finally found a recipe in one of my mum's cookbooks, that has really done the trick! 
So, if you want to make a big pan of Spanish Omelette, that will serve 4-6 people (depending on whether it's as a meal or as part of tapas), you're going to need:
6 eggs
600g of potatoes (I used small-ish size, all-round, good for anything ones), peeled and sliced
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
150ml olive oil
salt and pepper

First of all, prep the potatoes, onion and garlic, and have it ready for action.



Then, heat the oil in a deep pan. Once it's hot, add the chopped ingredients and put a lid on. This needs to stay on a medium heat for about 15 mins, and you're going to need to shake/stir every 5 mins, to stop it from sticking. 
Whilst you're waiting, crack the eggs in a large mixing bowl and season with salt and pepper.



Beat the eggs, but not too much... When the potatoes are softened and the time is up, put the mixture in a sieve/colander over a bowl (saving the oil for later). Then tip the mixture in with the eggs and stir together.




Leave this for 10 mins. When you're ready, heat up the oil (which you caught in the bowl) in the pan, then add the mixture and flatten down.



I cook a few mins on the hob, a few under the grill...and repeat until cooked through. There is the 'flipping method' where you flip it once cooked on the underside, but I find this pretty hard to do! Either way, once it looks crispy and golden, you're done. Let it settle for 5-10 mins before slicing and serving straight away or cold.






I had mine with a big salad and some cheese. Other ideas are with cold ham, chorizo, bread and butter, olives...be creative! Eat outside or in a sunny room with a breeze blowing through the window. However, if you're cooking this in the UK, chances are it'll be a bit chilly and rainy. You can always close your eyes and pretend!





0 comments :

Post a Comment

 

Instagram